A very girly apron happened this weekend.
I used this pattern, Simplicity 1934:
Simplicity patterns were on sale at Joann’s for $1.99 last week, so I decided to give this one a go. I created version C. I thought the ruffles were adorable. I didn’t really need an apron, but I decided it would make a fun weekend project. I also figured it was a low risk garment on which I could practice gathering fabric and sewing ruffles. It was the first time I had done either.
The ruffles on the pockets turned out pretty well.
The waist band gathering was also pretty easy, but the neck ruffle was a bit tricker than I’d anticipated. My sewing is a bit wobbly. You can’t really tell from the apron front.
Okay- you can tell a little, but would you have noticed if I hadn’t said anything?
The back is a hot mess:
It’s all over the place…
If you don’t look too close, I think the finished project is cute.
I had enough fabric left over to create a second, simpler apron for a friend who just bought a house. It’s a little kitch for her new kitchen. I kept this one really simple and I think the end result is very professional.
For this one I borrowed a friend’s pattern, Simplicity 2011. The entire apron is one huge pocket and the exposed cupcake fabric are holes to reach your hands in. I would have loved to do the waistband in the pink fabric as well, but I ran out. She’s not as comfortable in loud prints and bright colors as I am, so this may have all worked out for the best.
My sewing machine was humming with apron making this weekend. Now, I just need to learn how to cook!