After spending about a week practicing sewing in a straight line, I created two of the pillow covers pictured above. I am SO PROUD OF MYSELF! I sewed something that doesn’t look homemade and I’m not embarrassed to put it out in my house. Wahoo!
I found the tutorial on Gone to Earth. It was super easy. I had to adjust the measurements slightly as my pillow inserts were a bit bigger than those described. The inserts I used are 20″ square and come from Ikea. They’ve held up remarkable well and were a great bargain. I adore the fabric! It has a cute retro vibe and was 50% off at Joann’s! I have a few more yards of it (in anticipation of many mistakes, I purchased a lot of yardage) and am trying to figure out what to do with it. Maybe pillow covers for the bedroom?
The goal for this project was to practice my budding sewing skills (which now only include sewing in a more-or-less straight line), but I found myself loving the process. I didn’t realize how much pressing, measuring, and calculating go into sewing such a simple piece. As silly as it sounds, I sort of got lost in the process and time flew by. I definitely experienced Csíkszentmihályi’s “flow.”
When I finished stuffing the pillow insert into the completed cover, I squealed and jumped up and down for a few minutes. I texted a photo to my boyfriend who returned my text with an appropriately impressed response. I called my mom. I’m probably a little crazy, but that was the most satisfying thing I’ve done in months.
I think I’m hooked.